Our Founders: Saint Louis Marie de Montfort and Blessed Marie Louise Trichet
The Daughters of Wisdom are part of the Montfortian family, which comprises the Company of Mary, the Daughters of Wisdom (La Sagesse Sisters) and Brothers of St Gabriel.
Louis Marie Grignion (1673-1716) was a priest who spent much of his life walking the roads of France, teaching and preaching and drawing many people to God. After he was ordained he chose to call himself Louis Marie de Montfort. In 1701, he met the young Marie Louise Trichet (1684-1759) who felt the call to religious life and desired particularly to serve the poor and marginalised in northern France. She joined Louis Marie at the General Hospital in Poitiers.
Louis Marie was forced to leave the hospital and returned to the ministry of itinerant preacher and mission-giver. Marie Louise continued their work of relieving the suffering of the poor later joining Louis Marie in La Rochelle with Catherine Brunet who had worked with her in Poitiers and who would soon become the second Fille de la Sagesse.
After the premature death of Louis Marie, Marie Louise went on to establish Foundations in small schools, the care of the sick and the administration of large maritime hospitals.
Louis Marie and Marie Louise were both laid to rest in the parish church of St Laurent sur Sèvre (Vendée).
In 1888, Louis Marie was beatified, and on 20th July 1947, following the miraculous cure of Sr Gerard du Calvaire at Abbey House, Romsey, he was declared a Saint by Pope Pius XII.
Marie Louise was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 16th May 1993.